Close your eyes and envision your perfect home — now open them and let’s make it happen! When you build a new Homes By Dickerson home, you’ll be able to choose from rows of carpet and hardwood samples, kitchen and bath tiles, lighting choices, granite and quartz countertops, kitchen and bath cabinets, and more! Ready to feel like a kid in a candy store again?
For all of your seasonal gatherings, themed happy hours, book clubs and movie nights, visits from family and friends, and of course, quiet time to yourself, you deserve a space that reflects your personality and style, inside and out. At Homes By Dickerson, we allow you to choose the features and finishes that suit you best, so that your home looks and feels just like you.
Choosing the details of your home while staying within your budget may seem overwhelming, but you can rest assured that our talented design specialists will be with you every step of the way. They’ll get to know you and what you’re looking for, making this personalized process as easy and stress-free as possible.
Take a look at the eight things you should do to make your design appointment a breeze!
1) Go Ahead and Dream. The first thing to do before your design appointment is to simply ask yourself a few questions so that you can start imagining what your new home will look like. For example:
When you think about the exterior of your home, is there a certain color tone you prefer? (Ex. light, mid-tone, dark)
Is there a certain color family you prefer? (Ex. gray, beige, green, etc.)
If your elevation has shutters, do you prefer light, mid-tone, or dark colors?
If your elevation has brick, do you prefer traditional red, white-washed, painted, or another?
If your elevation has stone, do you prefer a stone with many color variations, or a tone-on-tone look?
Do you wish to carry the exterior style of your home into the interior? (Ex: farmhouse, traditional, modern, etc.)
Do you like cool tones or warm tones?
Do you have a favorite accent color that you would like used in your design selections? If so, what is that color or color family?
What is your flooring color preference? (Ex: light, mid-tone, dark)
Have you been dreaming of a light and airy house, a neutral home with pops of color, or a moody and modern house?
Write down your answers and allow your ideal home to take shape in your mind. It will serve as a great blueprint for choosing real-life selections as we put your home together, detail by beautiful detail.
2) Start a Lookbook: Think of this task as the most fun homework assignment you’ve ever had. A lookbook is a collection of photos that you put together to draw inspiration from. Browse sites like Pinterest, Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Country Living, Better Homes and Gardens, and whichever publication catches your eye! Create a folder of photos on your desktop or print them out to start visualizing materials and color schemes.
3) Write Out Your Must-Haves: When it comes to your dream home, you most likely have a few “must-haves” that are non-negotiable. Whether it’s light kitchen cabinets, quartz countertops, brushed nickel finishes, dark hardwood floors, beige tile, and more, make sure to keep a list of things that you’re absolutely set on. Since you’ve already selected your home’s style (farmhouse, traditional, coastal cottage, contemporary), start with selections that follow that theme, and our designers will help you narrow it down. Having a list of “must-haves” in your design appointment will save you time by allowing you to really focus on the details that you’re not entirely sure about yet.
4) Be Flexible: Keep in mind that your exterior selections will need to be reviewed and approved by the Architectural Review Board. This is to ensure that the neighborhood aesthetic you fell in love with is preserved. Exterior selections subject to ARB approval include, but are not limited to, paint color, landscaping, patios, and decks. It’s a good idea to have some backup options just in case your first-picks aren’t possible.
5) Stick To Your Timeline: The building process is truly an incredible combination of moving parts. When it comes to your design appointment, one of the ways you can help yourself (and your team) is to stick to schedule — which means prioritizing your appointment over other commitments that can be moved, and working with your designers to make your decisions on time. This will allow the rest of your process to be smooth sailing!
6) Know Your Budget: If you go into your design appointment with a clear idea of what you’re hoping to spend (and how flexible you can be), you can make the best use of your time and feel confident with all of your choices. Remember that your selected elevation or home model may have some included finishes, so make a note of those so that you can focus on all the other fun selections. Your design specialists will make sure to take you through all of the options that complement your floor plan and fit within your budget, so you can be sure that you’re not missing out on anything.
7) Get a Head Start: “Preparation is the key to success,” goes the saying. By browsing our Inspiration Gallery, you’ll be prepared with ideas and preferences before even starting the design process. This tool will help you get acclimated to all of our options as well as help you visualize the choices that you’re not sure of just yet. After all, there’s nothing more fun than a “sneak peek” to get a head start on your selections. Bonus tip: tour a model home again!
8) Have Fun: Go into your design appointment with one word in mind — fun. This part of the process is all about creating the heart and soul of your home, and we want it to be enjoyable from beginning to end. Dress comfortably, feel confident in your choices, keep an open mind, and start bringing your dream home to life!
All of our designers here at Homes By Dickerson have a degree in interior design so not only will our designers assist you, but they’ll be a valuable resource of information about trends, materials, products, and prices for your personal needs and budget. And with a little bit of preparation, you can rest assured that this experience will be one to never forget. From all of us at Homes By Dickerson, happy designing!